The Supreme Court has ended constitutional protections for abortion that had been in place nearly 50 years. The decision by its conservative majority to overturn Roe v. Wade on Friday is expected to lead to abortion bans in roughly half the states. The ruling came more than a month after the stunning leak of a draft opinion by Justice Samuel Alito indicating the court was prepared to take this momentous step. Three of the court’s liberal justices wrote in a joint dissent that the decision would bring “sorrow” for the many millions of American women who will be losing a “fundamental constitutional protection.”
– The U.S. Supreme Court ends nearly 50 years o f constitutional protection for abortion.
– ‘Heightened alert’: Abortion providers brace for ruling
– Harris discusses abortion laws with state attorneys general
– Some clinics halting abortions while bracing for Roe’s fall
– If Roe falls, some DAs won’t enforce abortion bans
Follow AP’s coverage of the U.S. Supreme Court ruling on abortions: https://apnews.com/hub/abortion
Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC.